The minor in visual arts is designed to provide students in other disciplines with an understanding of visual arts processes, issues, and skills.
Academic Requirements for the Minor in Visual Arts
A total of 20 credits (16 credits in visual arts studio courses and 4 credits in art history courses) are required, as follows:
- The prerequisites listed above: 8 credits
- Plus 12 additional credits in visual arts studio courses, chosen in consultation with the academic advisor in the School of Art+Design
A maximum of 4 transfer credits may be counted toward these academic requirements. All studio courses must be completed with a grade of C or higher to count toward the minor.
Applying for Admission to the Minor
An application and review process is required for admission to the minor in visual arts; acceptance is not automatic. To apply, students must have completed the prerequisite courses and must submit the following to the School of Art+Design main office (Visual Arts Building, second floor):
- a completed Application for Minor Study
- an advising transcript
- a written statement
- a portfolio (submitted online via Slideroom.com; see the Application for Minor Study for details)
For more information, please refer to the Application for Minor Study. If you still have questions, please call the School of Art+Design, (914) 251-6750.
Updated March 21, 2013
Please direct updates for this page to the managing editor in the Office of the Provost and Academic Affairs. Eight-semester plan updates or questions should be directed to the associate provost.
– For curricular revisions, please refer to the Faculty Handbook.