Final class grades can be viewed online through myHeliotrope by clicking Student > Student Records > Final Grades. Grades may not be visible in myHeliotrope until the day after they are posted by the instructor. Grade reports, or transcripts, are mailed only at the written request of the student.

Students may select any one course of their elective work per semester on a pass/no credit basis subject to the following provisions:

  • Freshman Seminars, core courses or general education courses cannot be taken on a pass/no credit basis.
  • Courses required for a student's major may not be taken on a pass/no credit basis.
  • If a student is required to take a particular course within his/her division designated as pass/no credit, then that student may select an additional course for the pass/no credit option.
  • A maximum of 32 credits of pass/no credit count toward graduation.
  • Pass/No credit courses do not count towards the GPA.
  • STUDENTS IN THE ARTS ONLY: No more than 8 Liberal Arts and Sciences credits out of the 30 required may be taken pass/no credit.

Pass/No credit forms are available in the Registrar's Office. Students must apply and turn in pass/no credit forms by the date published in the Academic Calendar. This date is always the end of the third week of classes.  Forms will not be accepted after that date.

Repeating Courses (effective Summer 2014)
When a student repeats a Purchase College course, all grades received will remain on the official transcript, but only the highest grade received will be included in the quality and grade point average and the hours toward graduation. Students who have taken coursework before fall 2014 must file a Repeat Course form with the Office of the Registrar to ensure accuracy of their cumulative grade point average and official transcript. This form is available at (under “Forms”). The grade excluded from the cumulative totals will be annotated with an “E” on the transcripts. The grade included in the cumulative totals will be annotated with an “I.” The repeated course, which is defined by the same course prefix and course number, must be repeated at Purchase College under the same grading system in order to be eligible for this policy. Therefore, courses previously taken and earned as transfer credit are not eligible for repeating.

Students receiving financial aid are encouraged to check with the Office of Student Financial Services to avoid losing an award, especially when repeating a previously passed course (grade of D or higher).

Policy effective through spring semester 2014
Matriculated students admitted Fall 1985 or after and non-matriculated students registering Fall 1993 or after, may repeat any previously attempted Purchase College course to earn a higher grade at Purchase College.  The higher grade will be the only grade computed in the student's cumulative grade point average (GPA), unless the previous grade was a permanent failing grade resulting from an academic integrity saction.    Note: Students cannot repeat courses that are no longer offered at Purchase College.

Except for approved repeatable arts courses, a course may not be repeated for a third time, unless special permission is granted by a Chair or Director.

  • The student who wishes to repeat a course must complete a Repeat Course Form and submit it to the Registrar's Office during the Add/Drop period of the semester in which the course will be repeated.
  • A repeated course in which the student receives a grade of P, NC, W, or AU does not warrant an “R” grade.
  • Grades of W, AU, P, or NC will not be removed from the transcript even if the course has been repeated.
  • If the credit value of the course has been changed, the repeated course is worth the new credit value.
  • A student may not receive a grade of “R” for a course that is repeated by either an independent study or a tutorial.
  • The Freshman Seminar may not be repeated.
  • Once the student has successfully complied with all the repeat course regulations, a notation of "(R)" will be inserted next to the original grade. 

After Add/Drop (but only until the 9th week of classes), students can withdraw from a course and receive a grade of "W" for that semester. This is a grade representing withdrawal without prejudice and appears on the transcript. "W" grades are not punitive and are not calculated in the grade point average. Forms can not be accepted after the deadline published in the Academic Calendar.

If you are not planning to return to the College this coming term, you must stop by the Office of the Vice President of Student Affairs (Student Services Building, third floor) to complete an official withdrawal form.


Under the Grade Point Average System, each mark is given a quality point as follows:

A+ = 4.334; A = 4; A- = 3.666; B+ = 3.334; B = 3; B- = 2.666
C+ = 2.334; C = 2; C- = 1.666; D = 1; F/WF = 0

To calculate your GPA:

  1. Multiply the quality points for the mark you received by the number of credits for the particular class.
  2. Do this for each course.
  3. Total the quality points.
  4. Divide this total by the total number of credits.
  5. This is your Grade Point Average. NOTE: GPA’s are not rounded.


  • Theatre Arts & Film students
  • Music students (914) 251-6700
  • Dance Students (914) 251-6800
  • Art + Design students
  • Liberal Arts & Science students need at least a cumulative Purchase College grade point average of 2.0 to avoid being placed on probation. Failure to achieve a 2.0 cumulative GPA while on probation may lead to academic dismissal. Questions regarding satisfactory academic progress should be addressed to the Registrar.